Below is a selection of street name signs with a connection to the history of Yorkshire’s road network.
|Branch Road: usually denotes a branch leading off a turnpike road, perhaps to a nearby village, and perhaps part of the tolled turnpike. This one is at Scholes, near Cleckheaton, leading to the Leeds and Whitehall Road (now the A58)||Chain Road (no name-plate): This is on the present Marsden to Meltham road (B6107), but was originally the 1st and 2nd Wakefield-Austerlands Turnpike. When the 3rd turnpike was built (the present A62) in 1839, a chain was erected to stop travellers using the old route. Note the original milestone at right.||Coach Road: This is on the road from Meltham to Netherthong (B6107) – part of an old packhorse road linking Marsden and Penistone. Because of the steepness of the road leaving Meltham this road for horse-drawn vehicles was constructed taking a (slightly) gentler climb up the hill.|
|New Line: at Greengates, Bradford. This section of the Shipley and Bramley (for Leeds) Turnpike was straightened at some point in the early 19th century, perhaps when the road was originally constructed in 1826.||Old Packhorse Road: outside Delph in Saddleworth, joining the present A62, this was the principal pre-turnpike road towards Huddersfield over Standedge. Some of the route also coincides with the Roman Road at Castleshaw.||Old Turnpike: The Huddersfield to Woodhead road over Holme Moss originally took a somewhat wiggly course between Honley and Holmfirth; this section heads south from the original Honley Bridge. A new bridge and straighter road through Hagg Wood was constructed in 1824.|