In 2006 funding was obtained by Kirklees MBC (covering Huddersfield and district) to restore and conserve the many milestones – there are over 100, not counting an even greater number of boundary stones – in the District.
A number of Brayshaw and Booth stones on the Wakefield to Denby Dale road (A636) were duly refurbished and then all went quiet. Persistent enquiries revealed a catalogue of unfortunate events: those involved had retired, been transferred, or made redundant; the depot had been closed; the foundry in Cheshire where the plates had been sent for refurbishment had gone into liquidation.
A happy ending has, however, finally been achieved, and in 2012 a number of stones have re-appeared. These include stones at Lepton (A642), Grange Moor and Flockton (A637), Holmfirth, and the only 3 1/2 mile Huddersfield “to and from”. (See separate article for the saga of this stone.)
Another development has been a “Diamond Jubilee” refurbishment of a Brayshaw & Booth stone at Mirfield. This has been painted blue, in accordance with the colour stipulated in the original contract in 1893 (see Brayshaw & Booth article), but with gold rather than white lettering. It looks very fetching, but one can understand why the colour was changed to white, as it is far harder to read.
The Milestone Society is grateful to Kirklees for its continuing commitment to this project.
Source: Milestones &Waymarkers, 2012, vol 5, p 48. RWH / November 2012